Thursday, April 5, 2012

American Textile Museum

In March I spent some time volunteering a few days a week at the American Textile History Museum (which is not the Boott Mill, or the New England Quilt Museum) I was working in their fund raising database because they needed some clean-up done and I wanted experience working with Raiser’s Edge. I was only at it for about a month when I got a full time temp job, but my time there was well worth it.

I got to explore a very cool museum. Textiles play a huge part in our lives, and a massive role in our history. I got the chance to chill out in the exhibits after working for a couple of hours and got to study the dresses, the sample books, and all the cool items on display. I got to go behind the scenes and get a tour of the research library, and see some brand new dresses just acquired (19teens are all the rage!)

I also got to help out an institution that I enjoy. They’ve been through some rough times, some mismanagement and the recession. They are much smaller than during the boom years, and could use all the help they can get. I can not contribute money, especially when I am not making any, but my time was valuable to them.

I almost hope that I will get the chance to go back and help them out some more, maybe if I win the lottery...


2 comments:

  1. Lucky! I applied to intern for an upcoming wedding dress exhibition, but because I don't live anywhere in the area I couldn't go unless they could come up with some way for me to be paid, and unfortunately it couldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true they do not have any money to spare. I feel lucky I live so close and recommend that everyone take advantage of the museums that are close to home.

    ReplyDelete